Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reflections


As I sit here and reflect back over the past year I can certainly say there is a fork in my road.  However I know I must not let it be a roadblock but I must instead look at it as the scenic view.  The path less taken.  I truly believe God has a plan for the trials and tribulations we encounter.  As Pastor Keith spoke about it brings us back to God and makes us rely on faith whereby strengthening us.

Yesterday was an exciting day.  I turned 33.  It was the start to a new year, new adventures, and to seeing the world as one huge miracle. Things look different then they did a year ago for me, however I never cease to see the possibility that lies ahead.  What will I do to make the world a better place as a result of my experiences; I’m still uncertain but I do know that I’ve been given this journey and with that knowledge I must make a difference in the world.

With this thought in mind, as I was watching the news coverage of the royal wedding I wondered: was Kate like so many other little girls that wanted to be a princess.  Did she dress in princess garb like Arrington does or was she less fascinated with the royals?  Did her mommy think someday her little Kate would be a real princess?  It’s often funny what kids dream up and what parents imagine their children to become.  Arrington was shocked that there were actually princesses.  She could not believe that Prince William existed and Kate was now a princess.  She said she’s like Belle or Tiana.  You know me; this conversation gave me a good chance to talk about political structures too; although I’m pretty certain she had no idea what I was saying. Arrington thought princesses were only pretend; something in a fairytale that one sees on TV. For now, I think I will let her continue to believe that as isn’t childhood a miraculous thing?

I can honestly say however that I’ve never thought of my girls as actually becoming royal princesses in real life.  Possibly a doctor or a lawyer; but a Princess?? Maybe it’s because in the US we don’t have a monarchy, but you know what, that actual position in life really isn’t one I’d truly want for my girls. 

What do I want for my children? I wish them happiness of course, but also freedom.  Freedom to make mistakes; and not to have the entire country watching and commenting on them.  Freedom to be who they want to be; and dress in what they choose to wear. Do you think Kate will have that kind of freedom again?  To me this Freedom is a miracle. A blessing that we so often take for granted.  Of course being a princess would have its perks but at what price?

I guess such is life.  To every choice we make there is a price.  Maybe small or maybe large but a result occurs and often many others linking back to that one choice.  In our house we talk about choices.  We talk about making good choices and when we make bad choices there are consequences.   We want to teach our kids how to make logical sound choices and that choices matter.  Even the ones you make when no one else is watching.  Aren’t these choices the ones that often reflect our true character?  Those choices that we choose just because we know it’s the right thing to do!

This year, my life has changed and I too want to change the way I look at life.  I’m going to take time to smell the roses, enjoy the simple pleasures, and treasure family and friends.  Sometimes I know I get too wrapped up in the daily struggles of life but this year is going to be the start of a fresh outlook and the goal of keeping a positive view.  Since my diagnosis I’ve certainly started counting my blessings as much as I do my tribulations.  I often think, I’m so lucky and life could be so much worse. 

Brenda and I went to training on Thursday and we had lunch with a few girls that attended the seminar too.  As we were talking, one shared with us that her husband was being deployed for at least a year to Kuwait.  I thought to myself, I’m so glad Stephen isn’t in the military anymore or that could be me.  This brought me back to the realization that everyone has trials and tribulations. That’s why we must remember to be kind to everyone we meet as they are all fighting their own battles.  It’s how we decide to react to those battles and if we choose to have faith that makes all the difference in the world. 

I encourage you all to Go out and count your blessings, keep an open eye for all the miracles that are bestowed upon us, and most importantly have faith that God will see you through.  Thank you God for my healing and for another Miraculous Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment