Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 1


Short version: had chemo yesterday.  It went well.  I was very tired last night.  The only side effect I had today so far was fatigue. 

Spent a lot of Sunday night dreaming about how the first day of chemo would go.  The unknown is scary so I was very ready to get the first treatment under my belt and be able to actually know and feel what would occur.  We went to Pratt Monday to begin chemo.  Mom took me and Delaney also came along. Evidently, in the cancer world they call the first day of chemo Day 1.  The people in Pratt are very nice and the chemo treatment room is interesting.  There are 5 chemo recliners in one small room. So you certainly get to know the other patients, which are doing chemo, very well. We checked in about 9:30 and were done by 1:30.  They thought it would take 5 hours, but it went faster than expected. I was worried about how the chemo would feel but it wasn’t too bad. 

I asked them if they would numb my port, as it’s under my skin so have to insert the needle into the port through my skin; and they said they don’t.  That worried me, but the nurse assured me it didn’t hurt ‘too much’.  I was nervous but when they stuck me it really was pretty painless.  They then gave me Benadryl, in case I had a reaction and anti-nauseous medication before the actual chemo.  Those made me shaky and very tired.  Almost as if I was in a daze. I was trying to email on my phone but had to put it down as I couldn’t see straight and could barely hold it. Luckily that only lasted for about 45 minutes then I was OK again but still very groggy.

The nurse started the chemo after the pre medications and ran it slower at first to ensure no allergic reaction.  Of course my chest got red blotches, which it does if I get nervous, mad, hot, or even eat food I’m not used too; however, they thought I was having a reaction.  So I had to have another nurse look at me too.  As they were both studying my ‘suspicious breakout’ and getting ready to call the doctor, even though I told them I did this all the time, another patient, Jean was her name I think,  spoke up and said “I’d be turning red too if you were both looking at me like that.”  They laughed at her, but ended up agreeing to let me keep going; sure enough, my blotches went away after a little while.

Treatment went well; the only side effect that I’ve had thus far is that I was exhausted on Monday night.  I solved that by going to bed early so that was a pretty easy fix.  I was also tired today, but took a caffeine pill right after lunch and that really picked me up.  I’ve been checking my tumor and as of now, it has not seemed to shrink, YET.  I know, it will take more time, but I’m optimistic that it will begin to shrink soon. I’ve been told that other women with this type and grade of cancer have had their tumors dissolve with chemo and I plan to be in that group soon.  Of course I’d still have to have the mastectomy and hysterectomy but we’d know the chemo worked well if the tumor shrank. The nurses also sent me home with medication to help increase white blood cell production. I will have to have these injections three days a week: Wednesday-Friday.  As of now, Stephen is the person that will administer these to me and I will give everyone and update on how that goes within the next few days. 

Another exciting thing that happened on Monday was that little Delaney actually got her first tooth.  Yeah, finally, we are all so happy.  So we both had very memorable and life changing events take place on Monday April 4, 2011.  Her little tooth is so cute.  Grandma Barb gave her a cracker, which she could actually bit with that one tooth as opposed to gumming until it was soggy.  So God has been good to us and Thank you God for my continued healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment