Saturday, April 2, 2011

Getting Ready


Short Version: Got my port in Thursday.  Surgery went well.  Saw Dr. Troung on Friday and he cleared me to begin chemo in Pratt on Monday at 10 AM.

We just got home from the Borderline Theater production of Leading Ladies. It was very entertaining.  I told Uncle Mick that he had so much experience with wigs now he’d be my go to for advice in the next few weeks when I start wearing mine.  It was also nice to get to see so many special people from our community.  Many wonderful supporters have reached out to me and for that I’m grateful.  I am so lucky to be part of such a caring community and to have so many people praying for me and my family.  I can indeed tell you that I feel your prayers and they are certainly working.  Keep the positive energy and heartfelt prayers coming as together we can beat this thing. 

On the medical side, Dr. Nicholas put in my chemo port on Thursday afternoon.  I had to fast all day and decided I certainly prefer having surgery first thing in the morning as opposed to late in the afternoon.  One advantage of not having to be there until 2 pm though was that I also got to go into the office all Thursday morning; that was nice to at least get my desk cleaned off my desk.  Although I’ve been able to work some from Houston, it’s just not the same as being in office and getting back into a routine.  I’ve decided, for as long as I’m able, we’re going to keep our routine as normal as possible.  I really hope Chemo treats me well and I don’t have too many side effects so I can continue a somewhat ‘normal’ life.  I’ve spoken with many survivors and many really didn’t have extreme side effects so I’m hopeful I too can be part of that club. Of course, I expect to lose my hair, but if I can get by without being too nauseous or fatigued I will be extremely pleased. 

I’m just ready to get treatments started so I can get them completed.  I’m pretty sore from the port insertion; it feels like my skin is stretching and raw.  Sleeping has become an issue as I’m a side sleeper.  I wasn’t able to sleep on my right side due to the tumor and now the left side is a problem due to the port.  I’m going to try and learn to be a back sleeper though as when I have the mastectomy I’m sure that will be my only option then too.  It’s actually sort of amusing, as I wasn’t sleeping well before the cancer because we had Delaney and she just started sleeping through the night a few months before the holidays.  I guess once again God was preparing me for this as I’m used to being sleep deprived and somewhat fatigued.  I’m sure any parent to a baby can relate too this. 

I met with Dr. Troung on Friday and he cleared me to begin Chemo.  My blood draw looked good and everything is set to begin treatment.  He said he really likes Dr. Green.  I’m very impressed how all my physicians have worked so well together.  I know coordination can be difficult, but thus far, each doctor and their staff have gone above and beyond to ensure that they keep my ‘team’ in the loop. One thing Dr. Troung asked was did I have my wig? I said yes I did so I was all set. My wig is similar to my current hair but has more highlights.  I’m glad we got it but I’m sure it will take me a while to get used to it.

I’m scheduled to begin chemo on Monday at 10 am in Pratt.  I’m told insurance has approved me to self-inject the medication needed to keep my white blood cell count up, so this will save me three extra trips to Pratt every week. My spirits are good and I’m so happy to be home.  Thank you God for my Healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment