Sunday, April 10, 2011

One Week Down


Well, I made it through the first full week of Chemo and tomorrow will be the second treatment.  Yesterday was full of soccer, soccer, and more soccer.  It was a great day but very windy and warm.  We were all tired when we got home, as the kids had games at 9, 10, and 12.  Gavin and Arrington are both doing well and most importantly seem to enjoy playing soccer.  The outing really wore me out though, as the wind and sun combined drained me.  I was told that chemo might make me more sun sensitive. Since I already don’t tolerate sun well, this is a huge disadvantage for me.  I think even without chemo though I would have been tired but by pairing the two made me all the more tired.

We finished the three injections a week to increase my white blood cell count on Friday.  They went really well and don’t hurt too much at all.  The kids are very interested in seeing Stephen giving me shots, they just can’t believe it that Mommy is getting a shot and not crying.  Arrington keeps asking me “mommy did you cry? Or Mommy, are you going to cry?”  It’s really cute.  She also decided she wants to be a shot giver when she grows up.  Not a nurse or phlebotomist but only a shot giver.  I’m not sure if that is really a career option but maybe, by the times she’s old enough, medicine will be so specialized it could be.   

Krista Pollock also set up a really neat webpage which I want to share.  We’ve been blessed to have so many people offering help, but at this point I’m just not really sure what we’re going to need.  The site Krista set up it hosted on Lotsa Helping Hands.  This site was created to answer the question ‘what can I do to help’?
It basically coordinates activities that we might need.    Everyone knows what to do and when to do it. And they say in their marketing material Energy is spent helping, not scheduling.  It’s a free site so that makes it even more appealing.
Since Krista hasn’t used this before and neither have I, we are learning as we go. From what we understand, people register to be on the site and then Krista or I can post any needs we might have.  Members are then notified by email when new needs are posted. The system also sends reminders, which I really like, as I can’t seem to remember anything without my phone reminding me to do it. 
If you are interested in becoming part of the community you just go to this webpage https://www.lotsahelpinghands.com/c/639924/, put in your email, and request to be added.  Then Krista can add you and you can see any request that we make.  It sounds very simple, and extremely helpful, so it will be interesting to see if it turns out that way.

I think this site will be useful, not only for our situation, but if it works as they say it does, for other volunteer activities that our community might have.  Right now the only things I could think of are meals since I’m so worn out the first few days after chemo.  I told Krista I certainly did not want to be a burden, as people are already so busy, I hate to make them any busier.  So she thought this would be a simple way to give those of you that want to help the opportunity to help. 

As I’ve said many times, I can feel your prayers.  God is working and I feel him with me always.  Since I’ve made it through the first week, I’ve started my check off and we have only got 11 more rounds of this first chemo regiment before we go back to MD Anderson on June 27.  I appreciate all the well wishes, cards of support, and most importantly prayer.  Thank you God for my healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment