Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A day At MDA

Hello everyone.  I’ve finally gotten in the attitude to update what’s happening.  We had a wonderful vacation, I just wish time would stand still and we didn’t have to go back to reality.  Well we are in reality now, and had our first visit at MD Anderson (MDA) today.  It was a wonderful experience and the culture of caring is a true identity they express in this world renowned medical complex.

Since I haven’t yet posted this I did get my BRCA test results on Friday and I tested positive for BRCA 1.  This means mom, dad, and my brothers need tested now as it’s genetic.  So dad went in today to Dr. Nicholas and we are scheduled for genetic counseling at MDA on Thursday which we hope they will be able to test mom.

I met with my medical oncologist today Dr. Green.  She was great and told us about the same thing as Dr. Troung did.  It’s still grade 3, triple negative, and looks like Stage 2.  It also looks like I will be able to do chemo in Pratt, as what they will treat me with is standard chemo.  Right now the plan looks like I will do a low dose once a week for 6-8 weeks.  She said I’d have less side effects and it will also allow us to see how my white blood cell count does with chemo.  Then I will do FAC chemo every three weeks for a yet determined amount of time.  Dr. Green also told me to have Dr. Nicholas in Wichita put in my port, as at MDA they are behind 4-6 weeks for this as they only have a few docs that do that. I’m confident Dr. Nicholas can do that, and I’m also happy to have her involved with my care. I am very happy that I will be able to do the chemo in Pratt so this made my day.

Dr. Green did complicate things some as we may need to do radiation now after the mastectomy but Dr. Wagner will decide this on Friday as she’s the surgical oncologist.  If I need to do radiation it will be 4-6 weeks and it will probably be at MDA.  So that isn’t so great but I will do what I have to in order to beat this thing.  If they do radiation then they can’t start the reconstruction until after the radiation.  That isn’t great either, but if it’s required we’ll work through it.

They will also do a PET scan to insure the cancer isn’t anywhere else; the MRI shows it’s not but this will be certain.  I will meet with Dr. Green on Friday after I see Dr. Wagner.  She’s nice enough to come in on her non-clinical day to meet with us to figure out a treatment plan.  Which I’m grateful for, as I’d like to know before the weekend. It’s still up in the air if I will do the mastectomy or chemo first but by Friday it looks like we will know a lot more.  I’m hopeful and feel much better about my care since we’ve taken the first steps. 

All in all I’m happy and I’m more positive them I’ve been in the last few days.  Dr. Green said mine is curable and this is what they want to do; but they also want to prevent recurrence as with my type the recurrence is more likely so more aggressive treatments might be necessary like the radiation.  Normally radiation is not required if a mastectomy is preformed but sometimes, it can be so we’ll see soon.   I feel your power of pray and positive thoughts coming my way.  Keep it up and “Thank you God for My Healing”





2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's so much to take in. If anyone can do this it's YOU! You've always been a STRONG individual. I hope we can talk soon! You are in my prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miranda, just letting you know that you are an inspiration to all of us. You are a very strong woman. I know you can beat this......I am impressed with your attitude and determination. I am praying for you daily, and know you have the most amazing family behind you and you have TONS of friends supporting you!!! Hang in there sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete